DO YOU KNOW ...
The Vicariate of Kuwait is now the Apostolic Vicariate of Northern Arabia which includes Kuwait, Bahrain, Qatar and Saudi Arabia. The decree from the Holy See came into effect on May 31, 2011.
|Sisters of the Apostolic Carmel Congregation in Kuwait|
FILE PHOTO (2010) : First Row, from top: Srs. Dharshini, Carmel Ann, Maria Pavitha |
Second Row, from top: Srs. Kirthana, Hazel, Serena and Maria Lytta.
||Brief History of the Congregation
The seed of the Apostolic Carmel was sown in the heart of a woman
who little realised the greatness of the mission God was entrusting to her.
Born as Sophie Leeves, the daughter of an Anglican Minister,
she was led by God first to the Catholic faith in 1850 and then to the
religious life as a sister of St. Joseph of the Apparition in the
following year, where she took the name of Sister Mary Veronica of
the Passion. Being sent to India in 1861, she felt an interior call
to Carmel, not understanding where it would lead her.
At this time, the Carmelite bishops of the West Coast of India were
experiencing the need for a teaching Order of Carmelite Sisters to further
the work of the missions. Mother Veronica’s call to Carmel seemed
to be a providential response to this need. Under the guidance of Father
Marie Ephrem, she came to accept her mission to found this new congregation.
After much struggle and many difficulties, Mother Veronica found admission
into the novitiate of the Carmel of Pau where she imbibed the spirit of
Carmel as one born to it.
The Apostolic Carmel was founded by Mother Veronica at Bayonne in 1868,
and established at Mangalore, India, in 1870, by Bishop Marie Ephrem OCD.
The work begun by Mother Veronica was not to die, for it was the work of
Divine Providence. It was kept alive through the instrumentality of Mother
Marie des Agnes, the first Superior General, who was one of the pioneers
from Bayonne. In course of time, the little congregation grew in numbers
and in stability as a teaching Institute of active Carmelites, and was
subsequently aggregated to the order of Discalced Carmelites. Under
Mother Aloysia, who succeeded Mother Marie des Agnes, the congregation
further stabilized and became one of pontifical right in 1925. During
Mother Aloysia’s tenure of office, the Apostolic Carmel took root in
Sri Lanka in response to the earnest request of the Bishop of Trincomalee
who recognized the educational competence of the sisters and eagerly
sought for their services in his diocese. In 1949, the Constitutions
were granted pontifical approval.
The little seed sown in the heart of Mother Veronica over a hundred
and thirty two years ago has now grown into a mighty tree, its branches
spreading over the length and breadth of India and Sri Lanka, and
reaching even to Pakistan, Kuwait, Rome and Kenya. Rooted in the
contemplative spirit of Carmel, and nourished by its life of prayer
and missionary zeal, the Apostolic Carmel expresses the vitality of
the Church through its fruitfulness in the active apostolate of
education and other works of mercy.
TO LEARN MORE ABOUT THE APOSTOLIC CARMEL CONGREGATION
Visit the official website :
||The Carmel School (Est. 1969) Kheitan|
The Carmel School has shifted its location to Kheitan. The contact nos are as follows:
Tel: 4727226, 4728119 Fax: 4727553
The New Carmel School in Kheitan, Kuwait
The Previous Carmel School in Salwa, Kuwait
PREVIOUS FILE PHOTOS (from the web-site):
On 27 March 1969, a pioneering band of four sisters of the Apostolic Carmel
- Srs. Fridolin, Irmina, Amelle and Felicita, landed in Kuwait at the
invitation of the Indian expatriates and the former Bishop in Kuwait
- Msgr. Victor Sanmiguel OCD.
On 8 April 1969, the school made its debut on the educational platform with
just four students on roll, in a little apartment at Shamiyeh, sponsored by
Mr. Abdulaziz Saleh Al Mutawa, a prominent Kuwaiti businessman. As the roll
of students began increasing, the school was shifted to a larger apartment in
Dasman on 19 September 1969. Since the strength of the school had touched
350 students, three more sisters arrived from India and on 10 October, of the
same year, the school had begun functioning as a regular Primary School,
with lower and upper kindergarten classes as well as classes I - IV.
Besides this a separate English class was held for the Czech community
until their own school was opened.
With the efforts of the sponsor, Mr. Abdulaziz Al Mutawa, the Carmel School
obtained the recognition from the Ministry of Education on 15 September 1970,
to run the school. It was now in a position to open its doors to students of
all creed who were ready to follow the Indian curriculum. As a result of this
the student strength increased and the school was shifted to a more spacious
building across the road.
In 1972, class VIII was opened and a new syllabus of CBSE, Delhi was introduced.
After preliminary inspections, the school was recognized by the Delhi board and
in 1977, it was affiliated to the CBSE. The school continued developing and in
1973, the Annual Prize distribution celebration was presided over by H.E. Sheikh
Abdulla Al-Jaber Al-Sabah, Special Councilor to H.H. The Amir. In 1974,
the Kuwait Ministry of Education sanctioned the opening of Class X. Class XI
was formally opened in September 1975. The first batch of boys and girls of
class XI who appeared for the AIHSE did wonderfully well in their exams.
In March 1977, the boys section was closed down and nearly 200 boys were
transferred to the New Indian School.
On 10 April 1979, a formal contract was signed to build a large school
building and finally Carmel School was proud to have a permanent school
building with the required facilities for about 2500 students. During the
ensuing period, the school was proud to receive visits from the Chairman
of the CBSE and the Indian Ambassador to Kuwait. Carmel School was also
considered to be one of the 5 best schools in Kuwait by the Ministry of Education
in Kuwait and a trophy and certificate of Merit to this effect was awarded to
In 1979, Mr. Hamad Al-Ateeqy took over the sponsorship of the school at
the request of the school management and he is still the sponsor of the
school to this day.
The Iraqi invasion of Kuwait took a heavy toll on the school because the
school building was occupied by the Iraqi troops and all the belongings,
equipment and materials were either looted or destroyed by them. After
the liberation of Kuwait, the Sisters were invited back to restart the
school and with the encouragement of the sponsor Mr. Hamad Al-Ateeqy,
the Indian Chargeacute d’Affairs and the Bishop in Kuwait, Msgr. Francis
Micallef as well as many well-wishers, the school was repaired and
reopened its doors in August 1991 with just 250 students on its roll.
Today the school has come back to its original state and it has over 2500
students studying in the kindergarten, primary, secondary and higher secondary
sections of its co-educational instution. After the liberation of Kuwait,
the school was obliged to admit boys once again since Carmel School was the
first school to reopen in the whole of Kuwait. In March 1993, the first batch
of students appeared for XII CBSE Board Examinations and they achieved 100%
success with one student topping the Gulf Schools securing 90.2% in the aggregate.
With the assistance of a dedicated teaching and clerical staff, the school
has been able to maintain high standards in academics and all round development.
The school offers students adequate facilities, a well equipped library,
computer, physics, chemistry, biology laboratories and a sports room with
ample sports equipment for the physical development of the students.
Neither is the moral and spiritual development neglected.
Through regular moral science classes, occasional orientation
counseling sessions and other talks, the school tries to instill
in the students a respect for all religions and a love for lasting
values and a service-oriented life. The all round development of the student
is the main aim of the school.
The school is deeply grateful to the Ministry of Education and the
Director for Private Education for all the help rendered through the
various inspectors who visit the school from time to time.
We pray that Almighty God may bless this beautiful land of Kuwait
and its leaders and may He soon release all the POWs.
FILE PHOTO (2000) : [Left to Right] Sr. Serena, Sr. Sushma, Sr. Marie Lily, Sr. Bernita,
Sr. Lily Mascarenhas, Sr. Carmen Mary and Sr. Maria Lytta.
FILE PHOTO (1999) : [Left to Right] Sr. Lily Mascarenhas, Sr. Marie Lily, Sr. Carmen Mary, Sr. Maria Lytta, Sr. Bernita, Sr. Serena and Sr. Sushma.